Flu shot clinics are available to our patients beginning every Fall at each of our three locations.
There are many reasons to get an influenza vaccine each year. Overall, the flu vaccine has been shown to reduce the risk of flu illness, hospitalization and death. Below is a summary of some of the key benefits of flu vaccination.
- Flu vaccine prevents millions of flu illnesses and flu-related doctor’s visits each year.
- During the seasons when the flu vaccine is closely matching the circulating flu viruses in that season the flu vaccine has shown to reduce needing to see a doctor about flu symptoms by 40 – 60%.
- Flu vaccination can reduce the risk of flu-associated hospitalizations for children, working age adults and older adults. For example, during the 2019-20 flu season, flu vaccinations prevented an estimated 105,000 flu-related hospitalizations and in recent years flu-associated hospitalizations among older adults was reduced on average by 40%.
- Flu vaccination is an important preventative for people with chronic health conditions. For example, flu vaccination has been shown in separate studies to be associated with reduced hospitalizations in individuals who have diabetes or a chronic lung condition.
- If a person receives the flu vaccine, this helps protect them from getting the flu and therefore they are not risking the spreading the flu. It therefore helps to protect more vulnerable people like, babies, young children, older adults and individuals with chronic health conditions.